[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal: Customer Confidentiality

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Tue Jun 9 11:34:14 EDT 2009

On 9 Jun 2009 michael.dillon at bt.com wrote:

> > I generally support an effort to increased Customer
> > Confidentially, but it needs to focus on the Customer's
> > interest not solely on the ISP's interest.  So I am worried
> > about how this proposal is written and that it seems to focus
> > on the ISP's interest not the Customer's interest.
>
> This policy proposal benefits both Customer and ISP. A customer
> can elect to keep their contact info out of whois with the
> understanding that the ISP will now relay messages to them,
> and probably filter out junk like SPAM. On the other hand,
> the ISP now has the option to offer a fully-managed Internet
> access service and shield the customer from all communications
> related to network abuse or malfunction.
>
> As it stands, this proposal doesn't favor one or the other.

I do believe this can be a benefit to the customer and in the customer's
interest, but the provided rational only focuses on the ISP's interest in
making the Customer's information confidential.  Nothing in the rational
speaks to why this is in the customer's interest, that probably should be
included too.

David Farmer                                      Email:farmer at umn.edu
Office of Information Technology
Networking & Telecomunication Services
University of Minnesota		       Phone: 612-626-0815
2218 University Ave SE		       Cell: 612-812-9952
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029	       FAX: 612-626-1818