[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal: Customer Confidentiality

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Tue Jun 9 10:51:53 EDT 2009

On Tue, Jun 9, 2009 at 8:55 AM, Member Services<info at arin.net> wrote:
> 1. Policy Proposal Name: Customer Confidentiality
>
> ISPs may choose to enter their own address and phone number in
> reassignments and reallocations in lieu of the customer's address and
> phone number.  The customer's actual information must be provided to
> ARIN on request and will be held in the strictest confidence.

I oppose this policy as written, however I would support the policy if
"address" was clarified to mean email address but not postal address.

Describing the registrant's identity for the consumption of
non-trivial amounts of IPv4 address space serves good public policy.
It makes it possible for third parties to perform spot-checks which
audit the ISP's honest use of address space. Whether used or not, this
greatly impacts ARIN's process transparency. This is especially
helpful when a supposed ISP is suspected of fraud. A name alone or
fully private registrations are insufficient for auditing.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004