[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal: Predicable IPv4 Run Out by Prefix Size

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Mon Jun 8 18:20:54 EDT 2009

On Jun 8, 2009, at 2:06 PM, Pete Templin wrote:

> Member Services wrote:
>
>> This proposal is in the first stage of the Policy Development
>> Process.
>> ARIN staff will perform the Clarity and Understanding step. Staff
>> does
>> not evaluate the proposal at this time, their goal is to make sure
>> that
>> they understand the proposal and believe the community will as well.
>> Staff will report their results to the ARIN Advisory Council (AC)
>> within
>> 10 days.
>
> Can we somehow provide some clarity sooner rather than later?  At a
> high level, is this policy proposal really suggesting that 4-7 large-
> enough ISPs could wipe out all of ARIN's IPv4 free pool?  At a lower
> level, the composition of this proposal hurts my head, with things
> like "insure" vs. "ensure", or "at least until the maximum equals
> the minimum allocation or assignment size".

The reality is that in the coming months, we will reach a point where a
single large-enough ISP's request could wipe out all of ARIN's IPv4
free pool. As such, the proposal attempts to create a system where
no single request can get more than some portion of what remains
until a point is reached where all that remains is a single minimum
size allocation.

I hope that clarifies.

Owen