[arin-ppml] A modest proposal for IPv6 address allocations

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Fri Jun 5 17:49:15 EDT 2009

I've been looking at this. It's an interesting problem. There is an unresolved and little-discussed tension between the use of fees as an encouragement to conserve the address space, and the use of fees as methods for recovering the costs of RIR services.

If all we're paying for is the support of ARIN or other RIRs, then the block size an org is allocated rarely has any relationship to the costs imposed. But if fees don't get bigger with bigger allocations, then what's to stop a land rush that could in fact lead to wasteful overconsumption of the v6 address space?

--MM