[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal: A Modest Proposal for an Alternate IPv6 Allocation Process

George, Wes E [NTK] Wesley.E.George at sprint.com
Fri Jun 5 16:45:04 EDT 2009

>> Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

  > Please stop trying to discuss core router architecture on this list.

Well, that then is pretty much exactly what this policy proposal is
doing, and you have already registered your opposition to it, so I
guess we know the real reason you don't like it, now.

I will point out though that ARIN's entire allocation policy is pretty
much determined due to router hardware limitations.  You can claim that
ARIN's policies should ignore router limitations all you want, but
that's obviously a pipe dream, currently.

I never said that ARIN's policies should ignore router limitations. Quite the contrary. My request to stop discussing it stemmed from the fact that this debate seems to ignore several posts that attempt to explain why router hardware limitations are what they are after folks continue to pose variations of the "how hard could it be to build a cheap router that does 20M routes?" question, or dismiss the concerns about routing table bloat with a vague reference to "the future of computer and routing architecture". That particular "discussion" of router architecture is not helpful.

Wes

This e-mail may contain Sprint Nextel Company proprietary information intended for the sole use of the recipient(s). Any use by others is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender and delete all copies of the message.