[arin-ppml] A modest proposal for IPv6 address allocations

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Fri Jun 5 04:51:11 EDT 2009

> IPv6 is abundant, but it's not abundant enough  that the same
> scarcity problem can't accidentally be created as with V4.

Yes, IPv6 really is abundant enough that we cannot create the
same scarcity problem as we had with v4. You simply don't understand
the numbers involved if you believe otherwise.

> It's a  salient and justified fear, given the experience with IPv4.
> Consider what happens if the expoential internet rate of
> growth over the next 30 years expands in the manner it has in
> the past 30 years.

There's a little thing called the carrying capacity of the planet
that needs to be taken into consideration. IPv6 has enough addresses
to supply the needs of the entire planet, and the population can't
grow much bigger than it already has.

> It's conceivable there could be a quintillion internet hosts
> before 2020.
>
> And with V6, many of those would consume an end site.

You seriously misunderstand how big the world is, and how IPv6
works. Most Internet hosts will not consume and end site. On
a planet with 5 billion people, it is unlikely that there will
be more than 5 billion endsites.

> There must be some specialized app that really burns IPs for this

You haven't justified any of your claims. The only thing that will
burn up is the strawman that you have created.

--Michael Dillon