[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal: Sunset Clause for Liberalized Transfer Policy

Pete Templin petelists at templin.org
Thu Jun 4 13:34:42 EDT 2009

Member Services wrote:
> ARIN received the following policy proposal and is posting it to the
> Public Policy Mailing List (PPML) in accordance with Policy Development
> Process.
>
> Policy Proposal Name: Sunset Clause for Liberalized Transfer Policy
>
> Rationale:
>
> When the community reached consensus in   support of 2008-6, it
> contained a sunset clause.   In the process of developing 2009-1,
> the sunset clause was removed. The effect of this policy proposal is
> to restore the sunset clause while adopting a more rational date at
> which to sunset the policy.
>
> Timetable for implementation:

> or
> 3 years after IANA issues the last /8s to the RIRs,
> whichever is later.

If you'd like a rational date at which to sunset the policy, you might
want to tune up this timetable language significantly.  It's going to be
a long, long time before IANA issues the last /8s to the RIRs.

I'm opposed to this policy as written, and I'm opposed to this policy as
intended.  Three years covers roughly five cycles of Public Policy
Meetings plus a partial cycle for implementation.  Let's collect data
and implement new policy as guided by that data in a timeframe and
manner that's right for the ARIN region and the Internet as a whole.

Pete