[arin-ppml] Global Uniqueness vs Global Reachability

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Wed Jun 3 20:45:59 EDT 2009

In a message written on Wed, Jun 03, 2009 at 05:53:59PM -0500, David Farmer wrote:
> What if we made the Global Reachability assumption explicit
> and created a separate pool without an explicit assumption of
> Globally Reachability.

http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-ipv6-ula-central-01.txt

(I don't know if that was the last/latest draft.)

I believe you idea is roughly the "ULA Central" idea.  The idea was a
separate address pool (FC00::/7) that would be assigned by IANA (which
of course may delegate to the RIR's, or create a new central entity, or
any number of things) and bits would be given out as globally unique
prefixes that are not expected to appear in the global internet routing
table.  That is, ISP's would filter FC00::/7 on the commodity internet.

The community was not in favor of this idea several years ago, but times
may have changed.

http://www.ripe.net/ripe/policies/proposals/2007-05.html
http://archive.apnic.net/policy/proposals/prop-048-v001.html
http://www.afrinic.net/docs/policies/afpol-v6ula200704.htm