[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal: Open Access To IPv6

Michael Sinatra michael at rancid.berkeley.edu
Mon Jun 1 18:07:18 EDT 2009

On 06/01/09 13:01, Owen DeLong wrote:

> Without the number of sites, the distinction is still present.  An LIR is
> planning to delegate prefixes to other sites while an end user does not.
> End users cannot SWIP portions of their space.  LIRs can.  The fee
> structure is also radically different.  As such, I think that the
> distinction is
> well preserved without some arbitrary requirement about their business
> plan and number of customers.

+1

I support the spirit of the policy, and I am not terribly opposed to it
as written.  Specifically:

o The 200 end-user requirement is not particularly onerous, but it also
doesn't mean much.  The simple notion that you are planning to assign
prefixes to customers, broadly defined, should be enough.

o I understand the desire to remove routing policy from the NRPM, but I
would also not like it to lead to rampant disaggregation.  Is it
possible to have some sort of statement that ARIN makes that aggregation
is a good thing and that ARIN will allocate space in such a way as to
make aggregation possible?  Yeah, I am basically pulling this out of my
a--, but I think it's worth considering something short of unenforceable
policy that, at the same time, indicates that we don't want to go all
the way to swamp.

o I am not opposed to adding a BGP multihoming requirement.

As I have said before, I think it's a good idea to provide carrots (in
this case, in the form of more liberalized policies) to encourage uptake
of IPv6.  ARIN has already made multiple public statements, sent
certified mail to CEOs, and strengthened the requirements for getting
IPv4 (all of which I support).  This is another way of saying "we're
serious."  That provides ammo for those of us who are pushing for IPv6
adoption in our organizations and larger communities.  Some of us in
universities are aware of the slowness of uptake in IPv6 in our own
institutions and our peers, and in the larger Internet.  We are making
progress (some of us even use IPv6 to post to PPML!), but we still need
what help we can get.

michael