[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal: Open Access To IPv6

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Mon Jun 1 10:12:34 EDT 2009

On Jun 1 2009, Davis, Terry L wrote:

>Leo
>
> While I support this, I acknowledge that BGP can't support it. A couple
> thoughts:
> - To your point on not being able to support every residential user with
> a PI, maybe we need to look closer at the phone call routing system as
> they seem to be able to handle it.

The PSTN uses what is basically an Identifier-Locator split, and it is
connection based so you only have to resolve the Identifier to the Locator
once. And by the way it was nearly 100 year before the PSTN implemented
number portability.

This is why people are looking a LISP and other Identifier-Locator split
technologies. While I believe this is where the Internet needs to go in the
medium to longer term; Right now, we need a model based on currently
available and deployable technologies that will get IPv6 deployed. Then we
can come back and implement IPv6 Identifier-Locator split technologies.

And FYI, there is currently no concept of equal to dual-homing in the
Internet for the PSTN, you can have multiple out bound phone providers, in
fact this is very common for large PBXes, but you currently can only number
port a PSTN Identifier to a single provider to receive calls for an
individual phone number.