[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal: Open Access To IPv6

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Mon Jun 1 05:44:31 EDT 2009

> If every current connected org on the planet that has
> routable IPv4 space and an ASN in the active routing table
> were to obtain their own portable IPv6 space and announce as
> many as 10 routes, we would still have a smaller IPv6 routing
> table than the current IPv4 routing table.

We still have the problem of the transition period where
everyone has to carry both the existing IPv4 routes and
the IPv6 routes. It is nice that the new IPv6 Internet holds
the promise of a smaller routing table, and therefore the
potential of a longer operational life for core routers,
but first we have to get there.

--Michael Dillon