[arin-ppml] Rationale for /22

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Thu Jul 30 19:14:32 EDT 2009

On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 6:46 PM, Leo Bicknell<bicknell at ufp.org> wrote:
> In a message written on Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 05:48:06PM -0400, William Herrin wrote:
>> If I may draw it back to the question I started with: Can you offer a
>> well grounded reason to believe that changing the minimum allocation
>> size for *multihomed* systems is likely to affect the size of the
>> global table?
>
> I believe it is reasonable to assume each decrease in prefix size
> allows more orgs to qualify, and thus increases the routing table.

Hi Leo,

How do you figure that "more ARIN qualifying orgs = increased routing
table" is a reasonable assumption?

Let me rephrase the question by expanding your assumption a little bit:

1. Multivendor multihomed user connects to the Internet.
2. User announces his ISP /24 via BGP.
3. User qualifies for an ARIN /24
4. ...
5. ...
6. User announces more than just one /24.

What are steps 4 and 5 that get you from qualifying for an ARIN /24 to
consuming extra BGP slots?

Regards,
Bill

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004