[arin-ppml] On the topic of longer prefixes...

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Wed Jul 29 19:20:35 EDT 2009

On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 6:53 PM, <michael.dillon at bt.com> wrote:
>> Figure the
>> first step in the crusade will be something along the lines
>> of regular utilization audits
>
> Sounds a lot like the way the NANPA handles telephone number
> blocks in North America.

Of course, that's not the only way. "Underutilized" addresses could be
ferreted out by a simple expedient of charging every registrant a
dollar for every address they hold and paying them ten bucks for each
one they return to ARIN. If that yields a glut of addresses then next
year its fifty cents and five bucks. If addresses are still scarce
then next year its two bucks and twenty. Kinda like real estate taxes
discourage you from holding on to prime real estate that you're using
in a low-value manner.

There's also a possible legislative route that involves actual taxes
on IP address holdings to shake loose enough addresses to keep the
Internet growing. I predict we'll be highly motivated to avoid that
possibility.

Regards,
Bill

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004