[arin-ppml] On the topic of longer prefixes...

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Wed Jul 29 16:08:21 EDT 2009

On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 1:10 AM, John Curran<jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
> will ISP's turn down new business that doesn't come with own IPv4 block of
> least /24 in size?

Hi John,

No, they won't turn away business. It doesn't take much of a crystal
ball to figure out that some combination of three things will happen:

1. An external factor will moot the issue. For example, if the
transition to IPv6 is far enough along then new IPv4 service may not
be worth either the customer's or the ISP's trouble. Yeah, I don't buy
that either.

2. An address transfer market will satisfy the need. ISPs who need
more addresses for new customers will buy them from ISPs who have IPs
that aren't earning them enough money versus what they could sell them
for. Not altogether different from the "premium domain name" market we
have today.

3. The ISPs will demand (and get) changes to ARIN policy which effect
the return of "underutilized" addresses for some yet-to-be-chosen
definition of underutilized.  Figure the first step in the crusade
will be something along the lines of regular utilization audits with a
rule that anything which could reasonably employ NAT is not "in use"
for audit purposes.

Tell me I'm wrong if you must, but note it in your journal 'cause I
see the writing on the wall.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004