[arin-ppml] Rationale for /22

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Wed Jul 29 15:10:12 EDT 2009

On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 1:48 PM, Kevin Kargel<kkargel at polartel.com> wrote:
> Perhaps another factor that comes in to play here is that I do not accept
> advertisements for my own networks from external peers.  There is no need, I
> already know the best routes to my own networks.
>
> Unless I am mistaken if one of my peers sends me my customers /23 route I
> believe that will trigger a rib failure and the route will not be injected
> in to my tables.

Then your routing is doubly broken Kevin: not only will packets for
your customer never reach you (because they prefer the more specific
path via his other ISP) but your customer won't be able to reach you
via his other ISP if his link with you is down. You will have, in
effect, delivered a service to him which is almost completely useless.

Regards,
Bill

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004