[arin-ppml] Rationale for /22

Kevin Kargel kkargel at polartel.com
Wed Jul 29 13:48:56 EDT 2009

> > I have dual
> > homed customers who use IP's from me.  When I advertise those out my BGP
> > portal they are aggregated.
> >
> > For example if I advertise 66.231.96.0/19 in my BGP and I have allocated
> > 66.231.103.0/23 to one of my customers his network will be aggregated to
> be
> > within my BGP advertisements without adding a specific route.
>
> Then you would be making a mistake. His /23 announcement via the other
> ISP will override your covering route, preventing him from receiving
> any service from you whenever his other link is operational. The
> more-specific route always overrides the less specific route.
>
> Regards,
> Bill

Perhaps another factor that comes in to play here is that I do not accept
advertisements for my own networks from external peers.  There is no need, I
already know the best routes to my own networks.

Unless I am mistaken if one of my peers sends me my customers /23 route I
believe that will trigger a rib failure and the route will not be injected
in to my tables.

Whatever the mechanism I do receive the /23 advertisement.