[arin-ppml] Rationale for /22

Kevin Kargel kkargel at polartel.com
Wed Jul 29 11:22:46 EDT 2009

I don't remember a topology discriminator in the BGP algorithm.  I have dual
homed customers who use IP's from me.  When I advertise those out my BGP
portal they are aggregated.

For example if I advertise 66.231.96.0/19 in my BGP and I have allocated
66.231.103.0/23 to one of my customers his network will be aggregated to be
within my BGP advertisements without adding a specific route.

Of course there is no way the ISP on the other side of the customer can
aggregate, hence my statement that it would inject one additional route to
the routing table upstream from my customers peers.

For my customers that have their own portable IP's, those are not agregable
by my BGP nor by the BGP on the far side of the customer.  Those IP's inject
two new routes in the tables outside of the customers peers.

For example, if my BGP has a network statement for 66.231.96.0/19 and my
customer has an IP of 66.231.128.1/24 , even though it is contiguous it will
not be aggregated.  It does not fall within my network and it does not
extend to a CIDR boundary contiguous to my network.  If I choose to
advertise via BGP to transit traffic for them  the customers IP will be
advertised as a separate network with a discrete route entry.