[arin-ppml] Rationale for /22

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Mon Jul 27 19:26:47 EDT 2009

Seth Mattinen wrote:
> William Herrin wrote:
>> I'm thinking about writing one, but I'd like to get picture of the
>> legitimate reasons why -not- to extend the allocation size to /24 so
>> that the proposal can address them.
>>

> ISPs give away /24's like candy; they aren't hard to get especially if
> you're multihoming with it. When I started and I couldn't a /22 from
> ARIN (due to being honest) I got a /24 from each upstream no questions
> asked. I don't feel there have been any valid arguments presented beyond
> the "golden handcuffs" situation. PI space gives you freedom from
> upstream lock-in at the /24 level; that's about it.
>
> Perhaps if there is another proposal and we really do go down to /24, we
> limit someone to a single /24 and their next step up is a /22 and they
> have to return the /24?

I feel this is really a moot issue because after IPv4 runout, the
RIR's won't HAVE /24's to hand out, even if they wanted to, much
less having /22s.

I also feel it's a slippery slope to permit /24's because if you
do your going to permanently establish them - because by the time
the orgs that get them want to "trade up" to a /22 they won't
be able to since the RIR's won't have any more IP.

Ted