[arin-ppml] Rationale for /22

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Mon Jul 27 18:06:15 EDT 2009

On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 2:48 PM, Bill Darte<BillD at cait.wustl.edu> wrote:
> In recent years, there have been few calls for a further lengthening and
> those that emerged gained little support.

March and April of 2007 for proposal 2007-6.
http://lists.arin.net/pipermail/arin-ppml/

In proposal 2007-6, the /22 size for multihomers in section 4.3 was
simply changed to /24. It met the following criticisms:

* Could make it easier for spammers. This seems to reflect some
general concern at the time over whether ARIN's policies made things
easy for spammers to hop IP addresses and was probably a red herring.
Spammers and other criminals aren't known to be eager to register with
anybody. They want address space as anonymously as possible for as
long as possible as cheaply as possible exerting as little effort as
possible. And they'd really like to hijack your computer and Internet
link too so they don't have to spend as much of their own money. All
of these things make direct ARIN address space generally unattractive
to spammers.

* Could create a land rush. Doesn't seem likely since a registrant
could get the same addresses from his ISP causing the ISP to roll it
up into their next request. Still, it could probably be mitigated with
a continuous use on the Internet clause for the sub-/22 assignments.

* Could create a new swamp which burns up routing slots. Seems like we
could find a way to mitigate this risk.

* Unfair to ISPs since it only applied to end users.

* Staff worried that it could increase request workload. Fees are
supposed to be adjusted to meet workload, right?

Would you say that's a fair summary of the criticisms of 2007-6?

> Proposals are always welcome...

I'm thinking about writing one, but I'd like to get picture of the
legitimate reasons why -not- to extend the allocation size to /24 so
that the proposal can address them.

Regards,
Bill

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004