[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal: Last Minute Assistance for Small ISPs

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Mon Jul 27 15:12:27 EDT 2009

Jason Schiller wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Jul 2009, Bill Darte wrote:
>
>> My initial thoughts are operational and definitional....
>>
>> "When ARIN has reached 90% allocation of it's remaining IP free
>> pool"....for instance.
>> free pool would have to be defined a bit more precisely and of course,
>> that 90% threshold may vary even during a request being processed with
>> returns, etc.
>>
>> Could this proposal trigger the change in mimimum assignment during the
>> process of receiving the next IANA allocation? What happens then?
>>
>> IF the last /8 that ARIN could get existed as a free pool, then as the
>> process described in this proposal takes shape, there would only be
>> 4200+ /20s available, but given that any size of allocation/assignment
>> request may come in, it is entirely possible thresholds of 90%, 95% and
>> 97% might get crossed rather quickly.....
>>
>> Additionally, when a given threshold is met, it is increasingly likely
>> that a single large and justified request could wipe out the entire free
>> pool without other 'end times' policy as have been/are being proposed
>> and considered.
>>
>> I'd be interested to hear other members of the community comment.
>>
> I think there needs to be more clarity here. First off I assume
> assignments also count towards the measurment of the free pool?

Yes and no.  It frankly depends on how ARIN slices up the last /8

If ARIN takes the last /8 and cuts it in half, with a /9 reserved to
allocations and a /9 reserved to assignments, then this would mean
95% of the last /9, not the last /8

I don't think ARIN operates this way, but no matter.

"free pool" is simply whatever ARIN has decided will be handed out
as allocations under that section of the policy.  I don't know
that ARIN uses the terminology "free pool" internally at all, perhaps
they don't.

I would welcome AC input on this - but keep in mind that policies
should avoid interference with operational details as much as
possible.  I think ARIN staff is smart enough that they can discern
the meaning of a policy and work out the internal implementation of it.

> What
> about reserved space?
>
> As you and David Farmer point out, there is some concern on what you
> measure the percentage against.  According to the NRO 06/2009 numbers ARIN
> has been allocated 21.33 /8s.  That meanse is 19.197 /8s are allocated or
> assigned then would we be in the post 90% phase already?
>
> Secondly are the words "free pool".  What exactly is the ARIN free
> pool? Does this include the last /8 allocted under section 10.4 (it
> seems the intention of this policy was for these addresses to be
> special use and not part of the normal allocation / assignment
> phase)?  Does this include special use space, like the /24s reserved for
> Critical Infrastructure in section 4.4?  Does this include the /10 that is
> dedicated to IPv6 transition mechanisms in section 4.10?  Does this
> include fragments that are smaller than the current minium allocation?

"Free pool" simply means "the pool of numbers that ARIN uses to make
allocations to ISP's.

If ARIN wants to take the last /8 and make it all reserved, then the
"free pool" would be the next-to-the-last-/8.  Same as it is right
now I suppose.

Ted