[arin-ppml] The price of address space

Eliot Lear lear at cisco.com
Thu Jul 23 07:26:59 EDT 2009

On 7/22/09 11:50 PM, michael.dillon at bt.com wrote:
> How cheap do IPv4 addresses need to be to make it worthwhile for an
> equipment vendor to buy up addresses today to drive up the price and
> make it worthwhile for the market to buy carrier grade NAT boxes?

If you attend next week's IETF in Sweden, you will see quite a number of
Cisco employees involved in nearly every aspect of IPv6, including
transition technologies.  We are there because we continue to believe
that there is no Plan B(*), that IPv6 is the best way for the Internet
to grow.  We are also there because many of our service provider
customers are in agreement.  What we all seem to recognize is that there
is a challenging transition period coming, and that it will have to be
carefully managed by vendors, service providers, and large enterprises.

Eliot
(*) One could argue that we are still cooking Plan A.  For those who
attend IETF, there is a draft, for instance, that looks at improving
both TCP and DNS timers to ease transition.  This builds on work that
Stuart Cheshire presented some time ago.