[arin-ppml] Spectrum and IP address reservations / More from NERA

Lee Howard spiffnolee at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 21 11:06:20 EDT 2009

----- Original Message ----

Looked to me like Tom's point was that the report said, "These findings are not
relevant [in cases like this]."

> I am not citing NERA as an unqualified authority; I did not say that it
> supported "my position" on anything; this particular report has nothing to do
> with the transfer market debate;

I probably missed your point then.  Would you clarify how this report is
interesting to this community, if not in the context of IP address transfer markets?

> I do remain genuinely shocked at the fact that you displayed ignorance of basic
> perfect competition theory, and that you are unaware of how people have been
> debating its limitations and uses for decades. That's something we can take up
> later.

I don't see where he displayed ignorance, and I'm annoyed at the general tone
of your comments.  Please help to maintain the tone of professional respect on
this list.  One way to do that is that if someone seems not to understand
something that's important to the policy discussion, check whether you have a
common understanding of the terms.

> Maybe it's a cultural difference, but researchers generally send papers around
> that are "of interest" and these actions do not imply general agreement with
> worldview or even the findings.

Sure, and one appropriate comment on such papers is, "Interesting, but because
of this section, it isn't as relevant as it otherwise might be."

>  ideas about
> public policy rather than professing shock when you come up against something
> that differs from your own ideology and then engaging in stereotyping campaigns.

Tom is not the professor of shock in this thread.

Lee