[arin-ppml] Why are ISPs allowed?

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Thu Jan 29 15:14:55 EST 2009

I always love a good divergence! ;-)

Officially, MacOS X never ran on any 68k gear without a FPU (like the Plus)
your talking System 7 here.

And the 68k Mac systems can still be made to browse the Internet by using
iCab 3.X:  http://www.icab.de/  iCab 2.2.9 will run on MacOS 7.5

Unofficially, you an emulate a PPC on a 68k Mac, here's a guy who
did it on his Centris:

http://mactalk.com.au/articles/68kpanther/

I love the line:

"...That's around 4000 times slower than the Athlon boots, and since that
takes
roughly 2 and a half minutes - I'm looking at at least 6.99 days. One week
to boot!..."

NetBSD will also boot may older 68k Macs:

http://www.macbsd.com/macbsd/macbsd-docs/machine-status/

as will Linux 68k.

Assuming you can get X to run you could build
whatever browser you want.

It would be painfully slow, but this would be for amusement value only.

You know, your not a real geek unless you have at one time in your life,
run NCSA Telnet on a PC XT with an ethernet card in it to log in into
a real system...  ;-)

Some gear, though, is apparently NEVER obsoleted - ponder the dichotomy of
websites like the following:

http://www.tubedepot.com/

Ted