[arin-ppml] Why are ISPs allowed?

Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Wed Jan 28 18:03:34 EST 2009

"Joe Pruett" <joey at spiretech.com> wrote:

> think of all the devices inside the network that are v4 only and
> will probably
> never have v6.  tivo, xbox, wii, webcam, x10 gateway, voip adapter,
> etc.  some
> of those will eventually have a need to talk to a v6 only device.

Perhaps - but then again, you and many others here are forgetting one
main word which I'd like to re-introduce to the whole list:

*obsolete*

One day, the laptop which you have just purchased and is currently at
the edge of technology will be obsolete. It will be disposed of in the
trash (and hopefully recycled). If, like me, you have lived through
countless generations of computers, PCs and other networking gear
you'll know that it all used to end up in a landfill site. Hopefully
we'll find better things to do in the future now that we're a little
more concerned about the environment.

Try running the latest version of Windows on an 80386. (I've tried and
failed)
Try running Mac OSX on a Mac Plus. (I've tried and failed)
Try surfing the Web on an Apple II. (I've tried and failed)

You get the point - migration to IPv6 will make some devices obsolete.
Judging from what's happened in other occurences of obsolescence, some
programmers/manufacturers will probably serve this niche market, until
it doesn't make financial sense to propose such products anymore.
These devices will then either be kept in a basement somewhere, as
"sentimental value goods", or disposed of.

O.