[arin-ppml] Why are ISPs allowed?

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Wed Jan 28 12:45:26 EST 2009

WHAT kind of device are we talking about here?

> if we
> can fit a v6<->v4 nat system into all home gateways, then
> maybe we have a chance, but that is quite a bit of work for
> those small boxes to handle because of the need to proxy dns
> at the very least, and ftp, sip, etc to give the best behavior.

IPv6<>IPv4 proxies have been successfully demonstrated and
I think most customers would accept the statement that their
4 year old Xbox or wii will not be able to surf the IPv6 web unless they
either upgrade it, or use the ISP-supplied proxy IPv6<>IPv4 server.
As for VoIP gear that's a no-brainer, Vonage and the other
extract-$25-a-month-from-your-wallet VoIP providers are more
than happy to hand out new IPv6-compliant VoIP adapters like
free candy.

As for the rest of it, like your Windows 98 or ME system that your
just dying to NetMeeting into, or your Solaris 2.5 system you simply
must telnet into, well your going to have to setup a bastion host
that speaks both IPv6 and IPv4, and remote into that from the outside.

The big concern really is if television manufacturers ever pull
their heads out of their butts and start including the ability to
plug an Ethernet cable into your 42" Plasma and stream television
shows off nbc.com and suchlike.  But so far the only acknowledgement
that they seem to have made that television can come into the TV from
a source other than a cable line or an antenna is to stick a VGA port
on the TV.  And more and more flatscreens are lacking even that now.

Ted