[arin-ppml] Why are ISPs allowed?

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Tue Jan 27 21:32:27 EST 2009

Kevin Kargel wrote:
> [...]

Why would you need to roll a truck to do a software upgrade of
ISP-provided CPE?  I don't know about your ISP, but mine rolls out
firmware updates every 4-6 months.  And, as an employee of $VENDOR, I
can tell you our products are specifically designed to make that as easy
as possible since it's a top concern of our customers -- and we'd be out
of business if we didn't offer at least some capability in that area.
(In our case, the devices check a server for new software and
configuration every time they boot up and/or at a configurable interval;
rolling out an upgrade is just a matter of copying a new binary to the
server and asking the NOC to notify you of problems -- not rolling trucks.)

Now, customer-provided CPE is an entirely different beast.  Many vendors
don't put out software updates for older models to fix bugs, much less
introduce new features, nor do they provide any sort of "phone home"
feature to look for updates even if such existed.  However, the ISP
isn't responsible for those devices either, and customers can cope with
buying a new one if necessary -- or they could if there were actually
any on the shelves that did IPv6...