[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal: IPv4 Recovery Fund - Revised

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Tue Jan 20 10:14:55 EST 2009

In a message written on Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 09:55:04AM -0500, Wettling, Fred wrote:
> The policy proposal strikes at a fundamental premise of IANA, RIRs, NIRs,
> and LIRs. that of IP address ownership.  Organizations that receive IP
> address allocations from a recognized registry do not own the addresses.
> They are simply granted use of the addresses under the conditions of the
> service agreement with their registry.  The current ARIN Service Agreement
> (Version 9.2) makes this perfectly clear.

I'm curious about your comment, because it is the opposite of what
I intended with the policy and thus i wonder if the wording is not
clear.

Under this proposal a resource holder can't sell (or transfer)
addresses to anyone.  The only thing you can do is the same thing
you can do today, return them to ARIN.  Yes, ARIN may offer you
some compensation, which can either be thought of as payment for
your trouble to return them, or can be thought of payment to terminate
the contract, but ARIN does not buy the addresses.  Offering
compensation in these forms does not make the addresses property,
indeed its done between two parties who already have a contract in
place denying all property rights.

ARIN would pay for this activity by new fees on resource recipients,
although rather than a yearly fee it would be a one time fee at the
time of issue.