[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal 2008-6: Emergency TransferPolicyforIPv4 Addresses - Last Call

Dan White dwhite at olp.net
Thu Jan 8 12:49:11 EST 2009

Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond wrote:
> Those of us who were in Silicon Valley in the 1990s (and I was only there
> for a short while, but I met with many young industry pioneers), there was a
> pioneering spirit which brought technical and marketing genius together,
> along with funding from people who believed in this genius. Everybody was
> looking forward to the future and some of the most successful companies out
> there were created around that time. Companies providing a lot of jobs and
> generating  lot of revenue. "Can we do it? YES WE CAN!" was what I used to
> hear every day.

That was probably because the focus at that time wasn't really on IPv4,
but on getting 'on' the internet and providing services. There's nothing
really all that sexy about rolling out IPv6, in the eyes of a marketing
department or accounts.

We really can't approach an IPv6 installation like we did with original
turnups. It's hard to phrase the debate in terms of what new customers
we'll get or new gadgets we can support. This is more of an
infrastructure debate.

Perhaps it would be benefitial to engage in a conversation with the
think tanks and politicians who are churning towards a massive
investment in broadband infrastructure. We should be raising a red flag
on what potential effects that will have on the remaining IPv4 address
pool. In my opinion, it would be a mistake of the policy makers did not
put IPv6 requirements on any funding they provide to networking
infrastructure.

- Dan