[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal 2008-6: Emergency TransferPolicyforIPv4 Addresses - Last Call

Kevin Kargel kkargel at polartel.com
Mon Jan 5 09:36:11 EST 2009

Right now the biggest incentive for an ISP to implement (notice I didn't say
'move to') IPv6 is a social one.  ISP's are technical service offerings and
the ability to say "We did it first" is not trivial.  Aside from that many
administrators at ISP's are tech junkies and are anxious to get in and play
with the new technology.

Many ISP's keep ahead of the hardware curve and have hardware that is
already IPv6 capable.  The admins at these companies will be able to
implement some level of IPv6 for little more than the cost of configuring an
IPv6 DNS and the time (this time may be significant) it takes to plan the
routing scheme and firewall.

These pioneers are the guys that will get it started.