[arin-ppml] Why are ISPs allowed?

Kevin Kargel kkargel at polartel.com
Mon Jan 5 09:25:30 EST 2009

> Using Skype to talk to my sister in Greece or my brother in the army
> in Afghanistan
> Operating my amateur radio station remotely when I'm away from home
> Checking in on my cats during the day by logging into a web-cam server
> Sending pictures to my friends through IM directed connections
> Playing computer games with friends (not massively online, just a
> couple of us)
> Slingbox type media applications (not all of it is illegal)
>
> While a lot of this may be seen as p2p, I want to make sure there's no
> mistaking p2p with "violating copyright by trading media files". I
> think about a lot of things that myself and a lot of my friends and
> family do, we really aren't just checking our Yahoo mail or browsing
> the Web anymore. Sure we do a lot of it, but we do a lot of other
> things too, and moreover, I suspect as the Internet evolves, there
> will continue to be more and more applications that involve one end
> user communicating directly to another... We are globalizing on a
> personal level. While NAT can work in a lot of places, forcing it on
> residential users is probably very counterproductive to the evolution
> of information exchanges.

With the advent of IPv6 this will be even more prevalent.  When every device
in your house can have it's own IP address there is then your lights,
furnace, water heater, telephone answering machine, kitchen oven , even your
toaster can be controlled by IP as remotely as you want.  No more wondering
if you left the coffee pot on as you get on the plane..  Of  course you will
need a pretty darn good firewall..  ;)