[arin-ppml] IPV4 allocations

Artur (eBoundHost) artur at eboundhost.com
Sun Jan 4 08:38:40 EST 2009

>What is a "shared block" in this context?

In the hosting industry, we have an option.  We can allocate an ip addr for each website or we can host thousands of websites from a single 'shared' ip.  A Unique IP is handed out to customers who have special needs such as anonymous ftp and ssl certs. There is a small premium to cover the extra management and arin fees ($2 per month).

This is a model that works well my industry and I wonder why its not implemented with ISPs.

The vast majority of customers would have no idea about NAT and it would have no effect on their experience. And those that would genuinely need a publicly visible or static ip should be able to request an allocation.

Understand where I'm coming from, I'm not trying to make policy that nobody wants but trying to understand it.

If we genuinely have a problem with the ips running out then options have to be considered. And if changing out current customers is a big problem then maybe the new sign ups should be handled differently. Whatever it is, saying that this is a patch and throwing hands in the air and saying 'if we don't go ipv6 right away, its not going to solve anything' is not the right way. Its not a all or nothing issue.

Best Regards,

Artur
eBoundHost
http://www.eboundhost.com