[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal 2008-6: Emergency TransferPolicyforIPv4 Addresses - Last Call

cja@daydream.com packetgrrl at gmail.com
Sat Jan 3 09:40:18 EST 2009

I guess Bill but again I argue that customers don't care about IPv6.   They
want ISPs to continue to build the highway and provide a service that gets
them to where they want to go.  If ISPs run out of address space, well to a
customer that's just poor planning and they'll go somewhere else.   I don't
think ISPs have to sell IPv6 to customers.  Customers will take IPv6 if it
gets them where they want to go.  I still argue that the fact that their
highway is IPv6 should be transparent to the customer.   The ISP sells a
service and it may or may not include IPv6.  The customer wants to
buy/sell/surf/etc.... The lower level protocols should be transparent to
them.  No one sells OSPF, IS-IS,  or BGP to a customer either.    The
customers just don't care.   The only thing I can see a customer may care
about IPv6 is being able to get a large block of address space but again
that's part of a service.

----Cathy