[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal 2008-6: Emergency TransferPolicyfor IPv4 Addresses - Last Call

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Sat Jan 3 01:20:31 EST 2009

cja at daydream.com wrote:
> The reality is that if ISPs are waiting for customers to ask for IPv6
> then it's never going to get deployed.

Agreed; the vast majority of customers are never going to ask for IPv6
by name.  It will come in indirectly, when a new customer signs up and
there are simply no new IPv4 addresses to give them, or when customers
start complaining that they can't get to the Hot New Site that all their
friends can because it's only on IPv6...

Even that might not be enough, at first.  Every few months, our product
managers run the numbers and, so far, the value of deals we've lost
because we don't support IPv6 is a minuscule fraction of the projected
cost to implement it.  Until that number approaches parity, we have
other things to do with our development dollars that _will_ help us win
deals -- and I can't help but think many other vendors are in the same
boat.  _Someone_ has to throw down the gauntlet and refuse to spend (a
lot of) money on products that don't support IPv6, or it's going to keep
getting pushed back indefinitely as it has for the last decade...