[arin-ppml] FW: Policy Proposal 2008-6: Emergency TransferPolicyfor IPv4 Addresses - Last Call

Kevin Kargel kkargel at polartel.com
Fri Jan 2 14:36:25 EST 2009

> > Umm, when there are only four steaks left and 40 people that want them
> > aren't there going to be lines no matter what the price?
> >

> The price should rise to that which only the top four bidders can
> afford, no?

Sure, if you are ok with the president of AOL getting the four steaks then I
guess that would work..

> But my view is that if the price got *that* high, there wouldn't be
> "only four steaks left" any more... a whole lot of people could figure
> out how to renumber out of (most of) their space if that happened, *or*
> it would be expensive enough that the cost (mostly non-monetary) of
> using IPv6 instead wouldn't seem that bad.
> >>  The socially conscious people who also have zero transition cost,
> >> or who are so socially conscious that they are willing to donate their
> >> own time and equipment budgets (or those of their employer) to giving
> >> the addresses to others.
> >>

> > While rare, there are altruistic people and even altruistic companies
> out
> > there that are concerned and active about social ethics.  All I can do
> is
> > bemoan their rarity and applaud their efforts and sacrifice.
> >

> They're mostly people not subject to shareholder lawsuits for not doing
> the best thing for the company (in the next quarter).

Assuming what your mean by "the best thing" is making as many dollars as
possible without regard to ethics, ok..  I can buy that..

This is actually one of the reasons I really enjoy working for a cooperative
as opposed to a corporation.  We really can work for the best interests of
our members and community instead concentrating solely on maximizing profit.
I am much happier not having to continually take maximum advantage of our
customers.  Karma is better and I sleep well at night.