[arin-ppml] The non-deployment of IPv6 - The Economic Factor

Knight, Brian Brian.Knight at us.mizuho-sc.com
Wed Dec 30 11:50:11 EST 2009

The customers and bosses likely care more about the operational risk of
adding a new protocol to the production network.  As long as that is
mitigated by planning and testing, you're quite right, the bosses won't
otherwise care about v6 -- *yet*.

After v4 runout, it's an entirely different situation: there will be
significant business risk in *not* embracing IPv6.  If it's gonna break, ya
wanna fix it before it does.

> There is little-to-no consumer-driver to enable IPv6 in
> established networks, and when coupled with Vaughn's
> assessment of economic dissuasion, it paints a picture that
> unless you are very well-off (capitally and/or
> human-resourcely), _forced_ by outside powers (something to
> show your customers and bosses to justify the risk of
> change), or setting up a new network from scratch (you'd be stupid not
> to): Trying to get "normal", established edge networks to
> deploy IPv6 is one-step down from trying to herd cats.

There are many folks who don't care about exactly how the Internet works, but
they have got a set of expectations about whether it will work and whether
they can make money with it.  In my experience, it's usually those sorts of
folks that call the shots and control the purse strings.  I'm not worried
about the economics or about getting management endorsement for v6 deployment
when the time comes.

> --
> Matthew Keller
> Information Security Officer/Network Administrator Computing
> & Technology Services State University of New York @ Potsdam
> Potsdam, NY, USA _______________________________________________

-Brian Knight
Sr. Network Engineer
Mizuho Securities USA Inc
http://www.mizuho-sc.com/

* Please note that I do not speak for my employer - only for myself.

** The below disclaimer is standard; the reader may consider addressees,
mailing list members, and archive viewers to be intended recipients.
CONFIDENTIAL: This e-mail, including its contents and attachments,
if any, are confidential. It is neither an offer to buy or sell,
nor a solicitation of an offer to buy or sell, any securities or
any related financial instruments mentioned in it. If you are not
the named recipient please notify the sender and immediately delete
it. You may not disseminate, distribute, or forward this e-mail
message or disclose its contents to anybody else. Unless otherwise
indicated, copyright and any other intellectual property rights in
its contents are the sole property of Mizuho Securities USA Inc.
     E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or
error-free. The sender therefore does not accept liability for any
errors or omissions in the contents of this message which arise as
a result of e-mail transmission.  If verification is required
please request a hard-copy version.
     Although we routinely screen for viruses, addressees should
check this e-mail and any attachments for viruses. We make no
representation or warranty as to the absence of viruses in this
e-mail or any attachments. Please note that to ensure regulatory
compliance and for the protection of our customers and business, we
may monitor and read e-mails sent to and from our server(s).