[arin-ppml] Simplified IPv6 policy

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed Dec 23 18:51:02 EST 2009

>>> 6.3. Registration
>>>
>>> When an organization holding an IPv6 address allocation makes IPv6 address assignments, it must register assignment information in a database, accessible by RIRs as appropriate (information registered by ARIN may be replaced by a distributed database for registering address management information in future). Information is registered in units of assigned /56 networks. When more than a /56 is assigned to an organization, the assigning organization is responsible for ensuring that the address space is registered in an ARIN database.
>>>
>> This is a major departure from current whois policy and I do not think that an overhaul of whois
>> should be packaged with a major change to IPv6 policy.  Please restore the current SWIP/rhwois
>> requirements for publishing the data.
>>
>> I'm fine with registering IPv6 data in terms of /56s, but, what about cases where customers are
>> issued /64s? There are 256 /64 customers in a single /56.
>
> This isn't a departure, this is a copy and paste (with minor edits) from existing policy (https://www.arin.net/policy/nrpm.html#six55)

I stand corrected... I was assuming that existing IPv6 registration policy mirrored IPv4 whois/swip
policy.  Interesting that the IPv6 policy does not require public visibility. That should definitely
be rectified.  Guess it's time to write another proposal.

Sorry for the interruption.

>>> IRs shall maintain systems and practices that protect the security of personal and commercial information that is used in request evaluation, but which is not required for public registration.
>>>
>> I don't think this needs to be in the NRPM.  I think that it is already addressed in other areas.
>
> It's in the current NRPM, but I'll be happy to remove it unless anyone thinks it needs to stay.  (Like much of NRPM section 6, the globally coordinated policy restates a lot of policy from elsewhere, and some operational practice stuff as well.)

Yep.

>>> 6.3.1. Residential Customer Privacy (2003-3)
>>>
>>> To maintain the privacy of their residential customers, an organization with downstream residential customers may substitute that organization's name for the customer's name, e.g. 'Private Customer - XYZ Network', and the customer's street address may read 'Private Residence'. Each private downstream residential reassignment must have accurate upstream Abuse and Technical POCs visible on the WHOIS record for that block.
>>>
>>> 6.3.2. Reverse lookup
>>>
>>> When ARIN delegates IPv6 address space to an organization, it also delegates the responsibility to manage the reverse lookup zone that corresponds to the allocated IPv6 address space. Each organization should properly manage its reverse lookup zone. When making an address assignment, the organization must delegate to an assignee organization, upon request, the responsibility to manage the reverse lookup zone that corresponds to the assigned address.
>>>
>> I think this needs word-smithing, but, I'm at a loss to come up with something better at the moment.
>
> Well, this too is existing NRPM text, so we don't have to fix it right now.

Perhaps not, but, it would be nice if we did while we're here. I think the general intent is right, just needs to
be a cleaner way to say it.

Owen