[arin-ppml] efficient utilization != needs basis

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Tue Dec 22 16:09:14 EST 2009

Michael Richardson wrote:
> Thank for a great email.

>     David> However, there are other IP technologies coming that may or
>     David> may not be connected to the Internet and will possibly form
>     David> other internets.  These internets will probably have other
>     David> challenges and possibly form other address hierarchies
>     David> independent of the Internet as we know it today. But, they
>     David> will almost assuredly need globally unique addresses too.
>
> +1
> (And ULA does not cut it for me)

I agree the current ULA is not a substitute for globally unique
addresses that are stipulated as not intended to be part of the
hierarchically routed global Internet, AKA the global route table, by
being assigned by ARIN from a designated range for this purpose.

Please note I am not saying they are not routable, they are most
assuredly intended to be routed within an Autonomous System or even
within a small set of Autonomous Systems.  But, that they are not
intended to be routed across the entire hierarchically routed global
Internet.  In other words, by default the normal expected behavior for a
network operator is to not route these across an Autonomous System
boundary without special arrangements.

But because they have an intended scope that is meant to encompass
multiple Autonomous Systems I believe that use of IPv6 Global Unicast
addresses are appropriate.

So, a question I have for you and something I'm not 100% decided on
would ULA-Central or ULA-Global be an acceptable alternative?

> Proposal 103 gives out globally unique (but not routable) /48s to anyone
> that asks, and that is enough to get these other networks off the ground
> to the point where one can understand just how much space you really do
> need.

While I agree this would be possible with PP#103, I believe it is
possible to provide these addresses without such a massive change to
IPv6 policy structure.

I plan to draft a policy to accomplish just this, if it will get
sufficient support that is another matter.

David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE	    Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952