[arin-ppml] Proposal 97. Waiting List for Unmet IPv4 Requests

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Fri Dec 18 19:50:13 EST 2009

Scott Leibrand wrote:
> Oops, I forgot to answer this one:
>
> On 12/18/2009 4:12 PM, Scott Leibrand wrote:
>>
>> 2. I believe the way this is stated that an organization with Multiple
>> Discrete Networks is only entitled to a single allocation or
>> assignment per organization, not per network.  Maybe you should
>> mention this in the rational too.  Does the fact that they might be
>> able to use multiple smaller blocks make any difference?
>
> I guess that really comes down to whether you think that it's better for
> an organization with multiple discrete networks to qualify for more
> space than an organization with a single network and the same sized
> need.  From a routing perspective, that's fine, as each discrete network
> is going to advertise its own route into the DFZ regardless.  But from a
> fairness perspective, I'm not sure whether we want to add an MDN
> exception to bypass the single continuous range of addresses requirement.
>
> Anyone else have an opinion about whether blocks for multiple discrete
> networks should have to be allocated as a single continuous range of
> addresses or not?

I'm fine with them getting a single request and block per organization
and not per network.  But, this would be another good one for an FAQ in
the rationale.

David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE	    Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952