[arin-ppml] debunking the myth that Moore's law helps

Kevin Kargel kkargel at polartel.com
Fri Dec 18 14:42:42 EST 2009

HD video to the home over IP is already a reality.  MPEG4 will help this, but still figure 10Mbps of multicast IP per HD stream, and it is not beyond reality for a single family residence to have four TV's and a couple of PVR's all watching different channels..  so that could be over 60Mbps right there..

Add in some security video streams, a couple of game stations running..  a few piddly VOIP connections, a few instances of Microsoft update, junior pirating music and daddy downloading porn and you are starting to build up a pretty significant bandwidth requirement.

As more bandwidth is available the apps will grow to consume it.  Nature abhors a vacuum.  There has to be some law of supply and demand that says that the amount of bandwidth required will grow to exceed what is available.

Remember the famous quote "Nobody will EVER need more than 640K of RAM..."