[arin-ppml] Routing Research Group is about to decide its scalable routing recommendation

Michel Py michel at arneill-py.sacramento.ca.us
Fri Dec 18 13:34:58 EST 2009

> Leo Bicknell wrote:
> What I am hearing is that the research community believes that BGP4
> cannot scale to the point where everyone has a provider independent
> prefix.  That if we want to have everyone have a provider independent
> prefix, we need a new technology to be in place first.

That technology was supposed to be IPv6, PA-only. Unfortunately it was
launched before the quest for a working PA-only multihoming solution
ended up returning with nothing.

Back in these days, there was also a feeling that IPv6 would be easy to
deploy, and if not easy at least a lot easier than replacing BGP.

I think that another very important message for the ARIN community to
understand is that replacing BGP is a HUGE undertaking.

Michel.