[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal 101: Multihomed initial allocation criteria

Joe Maimon jmaimon at chl.com
Wed Dec 16 23:03:28 EST 2009

cja at daydream.com wrote:

> Hi everyone...
>
> I have seen virtually no comments regarding this policy.  I can't
> imagine there is a lack of opinion out there...
>
> Happy Holidays!
> -----Cathy

I support this proposal, even as I suspect its a no-op, and even as I
have the following reservations, since now is not the time to keep a
tight rein nor is it the time to let them drag on the ground.

At 16 /48's with potentially one /48 per customer, thats a significantly
lower bar than with IPv4 multihoming requirements, where a /24 per
customer raises some eyebrows.

I believe that efficiency and allocation guidelines need to be
reconciled with a less ipv4-centric viewpoint.

Judging efficiency by the # of assigned /48 basically penalizes
organizations who choose to not follow allocation recommendations of /48
per site/customer and rewards those who disregard the /56 and any other
bit-points in between /64 and /48.