[arin-ppml] Policy relevant assumptions post depletion

Joe Maimon jmaimon at chl.com
Wed Dec 16 10:32:36 EST 2009

All,

I believe that assumptions and expectations of how providers, customers,
users and the ARIN community will react to IPv4 depletion and scarcity
as it is experienced widely (if unevenly) across the spectrum in ever
greater degree are relevant to choices of appropriate policy.

I would like to hear yours. Here are mine, for what they may be worth.

I strongly doubt providers will turn up users en-mass without IPv4
access. They will use some form of system to ensure that new subscribers
will continue to be able to access the IPv4 internet and appear to be
part of the IPv4 internet.

I accept that that systems that are put in place to continue to provide
that access could grow the population that is inaccessible from the IPv4
internet.

I do not view as valid the assumption that there will be an emergent
population unable to access the IPv4 internet.

I further assume that providers will be able to provision customers
needing accessibility from the IPv4 internet for quite some time after
depletion affects their provisioning of customers needing access to IPv4
internet, fueled in part by scavenging inefficient utilization, reuse of
globally unique addresses used prior to implementation of CGN's and the
like, or even with 4->6 address family translation systems.

I assume that need will likely be weighed by compensatory or monetary value.

I believe ARIN policy should do its utmost in continuing to make
available IPv4 addresses continually throughout this period, in order to
attempt to even the field between organizations who have large amounts
of scavenge-able, reusable or otherwise obtainable resources and those
who have less or none.

I hope that the systems employed by providers to continue to provision
customers during depletion and scarcity will include IPv6 access, thus
spurring its network effect by continually increasing the chances,
instances and occasions where the use of IPv6 is preferable to IPv4.

I do not expect that the only practical and desirable way to take
advantage of IPv6 populations will be dual stacking in entirety internal
networks.

I do not expect operator of systems with large target user populations
to ever willingly allow themselves to be accessible only via IPv6.

I believe there to be an about even chance that these events will unfold
with accompanying furor, noise and angst, enabling agendas that can be
detrimental to our collective one. ARIN policy should attempt to preempt
this.

I welcome your comments and feedback.

Joe