[arin-ppml] The non-deployment of IPv6

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue Dec 15 15:44:01 EST 2009

On Dec 15, 2009, at 11:58 AM, TJ wrote:

> [...]

The text above is not mine.  The text below is mine.  It is
unfortunate that
they appear to have both been attributed to me.

>> There's two different transitions being discussed here, and, we
>> need to be
>> more accurate about how we talk about them.  I think much of the
> enterprise
>> resistance stems from the misuse of the words transition or
>> migration to
>> describe the first step.  The first step is dual-stacking.  Dual-
>> stacking
>> should be relatively painless and should not require a great deal of
>> application testing, etc. Yes, removal of IPv4 will be painful and
>> take
> time.
>>  The good news is that the first test cases for that will be new
>> hosts
> after
>> IPv4 addresses are no longer available with the possibility of
>> using IPv4
> NAT
>> as a fallback to back-stop that issue initially while the native
>> IPv6 issues are resolved.  Once the IPv6-only new hosts are working
>> fine
>> without needing IPv4, then, we can look at removing IPv4 from the
> remaining
>> dual-stack hosts and finally the network infrastructure.
>>
>> So, let's focus on getting existing services dual-stacked, then worry
> about
>> the next steps.
>

> ++1.
> Transition is a poorly chosen term, perhaps with hindsight that is
> easier to
> say than without.

Agreed.  However, I don't think it's too late.  I think it is worth
the effort to start
talking, especially to the enterprise world about dual-stacking rather
than
migrating/converting/transitioning to IPv6.

A small change in words may garner a big change in sentiment.

At this point,  I think it is worth a try.

Owen