[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal 103: Change IPv6 Allocation Process - revised

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Mon Dec 14 15:43:21 EST 2009

On Dec 13, 2009, at 10:38 PM, William Herrin wrote:

> The point of my ramble is this: needs-based justification wasn't
> always around. It's something we invented ad-hoc halfway through the
> game to address the disaggregation and over-consumption problems. As
> entrenched as it now is in formal policy, "needs-based allocation" is
> an underlying assumption we never really thought through all the way
> from the beginning.

Bill -

Needs-based allocation wasn't "invented ad-hoc halfway through the game"...
(unless claiming the ARPANET as the starting point for the game :-)

As early as 1990 (in the classful, pre-web, single-default Internet), you
had to explain your initial, 1, 2, and 5 year address needs in order to
obtain address space.  See the following DDN NIC application template,
dated April 1990, for the specifics of question 8 & 9 regarding the
allocation policy at that time.

Departure from needs-based is certainly possible if warranted by the
circumstances and desired by the community, but we should recognize
such would be a departure from nearly two decades of existing practice.
I'd just like to make sure that the record is straight regarding the
allocation policy history in this area.

FYI,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO
ARIN

===
[ NETINFO:INTERNET-NUMBER-TEMPLATE.TXT ]                        [4/90]

This form must be completed as part of the application process for
obtaining an Internet Protocol (IP) Network Number.  To obtain an
Internet number, please provide the following information online, via
electronic mail, to HOSTMASTER at NIC.DDN.MIL.  If electronic mail is not
available to you, please mail hardcopy to:

			DDN Network Information Center
			SRI International
			Room EJ210
			333 Ravenswood Avenue
			Menlo Park, CA 94025

1) If the network will be connected to the Internet, you must provide
the name of the sponsoring organization, and the name, title, mailing
address, phone number, net mailbox, and NIC Handle (if any) of the
contact person (POC) at that organization who has authorized the
network connection.  This person will serve as the POC for
administrative and policy questions about authorization to be a part
of the Internet.  Examples of such sponsoring organizations are:
Defense Communications Agency (DCA), Defense Advanced Research
Projects Agency (DARPA), the National Science Foundation (NSF), or
similar military or government sponsors.

8) Estimate the number of hosts that will be on the network:

      8a. Initially:
      8b. Within one year:
      8c. Within two years:
      8d. Within five years:

9) Unless a strong and convincing reason is presented, the network (if
it qualifies at all) will be assigned a class C network number.  If a
class C network number is not acceptable for your purposes state why.
(Note: If there are plans for more than a few local networks, and more
than 100 hosts, you are strongly urged to consider subnetting. [See RFC
950])