[arin-ppml] The non-deployment of IPv6

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Wed Dec 9 17:48:10 EST 2009

On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 5:19 PM, Chris Engel <cengel at sponsordirect.com> wrote:
> 1) Hardware, OS and Software compatability .... and we have stuff ranging anywhere from brand new in beta to more then 10 years old currently in service.
>
> 2) Procedural Changes ..... have to figure out what current operating procedures would be no longer functional under IPv6 and how much work it would take to update them.
>
> 3) Contractual & Compliance Issues.... have to figure if any of the changes to our standard operating procedures mandated by such a change would have contractual or compliance side effects...and how to go about mitigating them. This would probably involve some consultation with Legal... and thier time AIN'T cheap.
>
> 4) Training & Productivity.... have to figure out what sort of training staff that would be impacted by the change in procedures might need...and also maybe the effect on productivity as staff ramped up thier learning curves.
>
> 5) Implimentation.... the actual cost of obtaining and configuring the IPv6 network(s).

Chris,

Unfortunately, you also have to factor in performance impact costs.

Applications will attempt to connect with IPv6 first if it's believed
to be available. They'll fall back to IPv4 addresses the same way they
fall back to a second or third IPv4 address now: after a connect time
out that is application-dependent but defaults to two or three
minutes. This happens to your PCs as soon as they acquire an IPv6
address and it happens to remote clients contacting your servers as
soon as you publish a AAAA DNS record.

Unless you find that that the IPv6 network and your connection to it
is as reliable or more reliable than your IPv4 access from day #1,
that has an impact on your system performance which you will have to
evaluate.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004