[arin-ppml] The non-deployment of IPv6

Chris Engel cengel at sponsordirect.com
Wed Dec 9 16:48:49 EST 2009

Well,

If the time estimates I've seen put forward here are accurate....and I see no reason to assume they wouldn't be.... then it'll be 2-3 years minimum before we see anyone out there that can ONLY do IPv6. In that time frame I'd be looking for the same sort of solution for public facing servers in the DMZ as I would for the rest of my network....namely some sort of v4 to v6 gateway service that would act as a proxy for my 4 machines and allow them to communicate with IPv6 hosts. I don't imagine it would be particulary difficult to grab a small IPv6 allocation if I needed it for that purpose... so no rush there..... and the longer I wait, the more choices I'm likely to have for v4 to v6 solutions....and the less costly they will be. Frankly at this point I don't even know if my ISP's are offering support for v6 services in my area.

Chris