[arin-ppml] The non-deployment of IPv6

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Wed Dec 9 15:51:56 EST 2009

Chris Engel wrote:
> Well, speaking for myself and the Enterprise I manage..... I see
> absolutely no reason to do IPv6 at the present time. There is no
> benefit to it and a fairly decent cost.

Chris,

   It's pretty common for people on this list to throw a lot of
generalizations around, and cost is a favorite.  Understand that
I'm not picking on you here since a lot of other orgs are saying
the same thing, but for the sake of example would you be willing
to list the specifics of what you found would be costly for your
org to support it?  Typically what stops orgs from deploying is
specific problems, not general ones, and unless we talk specifics
the discussion turns into more of a philosophical discussion about
what's right, and nothing gets solved.

   With my org our main cost was labor, that is yours truly labor
hours.  All the equipment we use supports it, the labor part was in
creating and testing configuration changes, and I did that in between
doing my real work.  (you might argue that IS my real work, also,
heh heh)  And I still have work to do, our DNS servers are overdue
for software upgrades that I keep meaning to set aside time for, but
have not yet done.

Ted