[arin-ppml] The non-deployment of IPv6

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue Dec 8 17:07:05 EST 2009

On Dec 8, 2009, at 1:51 PM, Matthew Kaufman wrote:

> Davis, Terry L wrote:
>>

>> - We need to get IPv6 addresses in the hands of the developers;
>> especially the small greenfields. Perhaps our past address
>> allocation policies just might have something to do with the
>> problem. In the mid 80’s to early 90’s, an email request with
>> almost zero justification would get 50 or 100 class Cs or a class B
>> without regards to the size of the entity or what industry it was
>> part of. Are we still too restrictive for the greenfields and new
>> technology developers?
>>
> I would say yes. I have an experimental wireless backbone network
> spanning a fair bit of the Monterey Bay area. It runs IPv4 using pre-
> ARIN PI space I don't need to pay for, as I was an "early adopter"
> of IPv4. Renumbering of sites that are hours away at the tops of
> mountaintops with no out-of-band access isn't pleasant, so I like
> having the PI space.
>
> There's no equivalent way to get routeable IPv6 space for early
> adopters of IPv6, which seems crazy as there's so much more of it.

There is a somewhat equivalent way, but, it's not free.  It was
significantly reduced a couple of years ago, and, less reduced
now, but, it's still reasonably cost effective.

The details are at https://www.arin.net/fees/fee_schedule.html

The policies are pretty liberal, and, if you have an existing IPv4 ISP
block under RSA or LRSA, then, you get IPv6
on request, no questions asked (a /32 at that).

If you're an end-user, you need to show that you're multihomed, but,
that gets you a /48 for $1250 up front and
the $100/year that you're already paying takes care of the rest.

> Fortunately there's no need for IPv6 experimenters the way there was
> a need with IPv4, as there's a big established ISP industry rolling
> it out and they'll handle all of that this time around. Which
> probably explains why my transit provider(s) don't offer it yet.

Either get better transit providers, or, prod them into providing IPv6
support.  I'm doing quite well with my PI IPv6
space and my transit providers are routing it just fine.

Owen