[arin-ppml] The non-deployment of IPv6

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Mon Dec 7 17:07:38 EST 2009

On Dec 7, 2009, at 1:57 PM, David Farmer wrote:

> Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

>> Today, though, Vista bombed hard, and it's too early to see what
>> Win 7
>> will do - but I frankly don't see a huge reason to switch to it, and
>> I have both Win XP and Win 7 at home and in the office.  And
>> seriously,
>> folks, does everyone here understand that Microsoft will be
>> releasing security updates and patches to XP Professional until
>> 4/8/2014?  That
>> is almost 5 years from now.  You can be sure that XP will be a
>> significant number of installed seats on the Internet until then, and
>> as long as it is, IPv6 isn't going to be widely deployed.
>> As for IPv4+, or whatever alternative you dream up, unless you have
>> MS
>> buy-in, then you can just forget it.  And MS is backing IPv6
>> Ted
>
> AMEN!!!, +1, You got it man!

1. The lack of IPv6-only name resolution is not a significant barrier to
	IPv6 deployment. It would be a significant barrier to IPv4 removal.

2. If M$ is going to be releasing patches to XP until 2014, then, why
would
	you assume those patches will never include a patch that enables
	DNS resolution from an IPv6 nameserver?

In reality, this is only really an issue if you are attempting to
deploy an XP
system in an IPv6-only environment. As long as you deploy it in an
IPv4 only
or a dual-stack environment and provide it at least one IPv4-based
resolver,
things will work with IPv6.

Owen