[arin-ppml] (no subject)

Chris Engel cengel at sponsordirect.com
Mon Dec 7 14:49:13 EST 2009

Bill,

In each of those cases, there is no need for timeliness of access for that information and there is an appropriate venue for providing justification to get access to that information in a non-time sensitive manner.

In the case of serving an entity with legal papers, why would it NOT be appropriate to expect the plaintiff to petition the courts for an order to reveal the identity of the person you want to serve? THAT is the burden placed upon plaintiffs when wishing to serve posters on individual forums/sites, holders of e-mail addresses or individual IP address holders (rather then holders of a static block) is it not? Why should the burden be ANY less in this instance?

Why, practically, should holding 9 IP's rather then 7 change the requirements for that burden

In terms of "checking up on competitors"..... A large part of justification for IP space also has to do with expected upcoming projects.... do you propose that ARIN should also publish organizations future business plans (which would normally be covered by NDA's) for their competitors to "check up" on them as well?

ARIN, who has no vested interest in which ISP an individual customer uses already has the capacity to investigate fraud. Why would you vest that responsibility with competitor(s) who would have a vested interest in throwing as many hurdles in front of their competition as possible and who may have serious motivation to misuse such information?

Which would be more likely an ISP using such information to justify an honest complaint of fraud on the part of a competitor or to create a targeted sales list to try to steal the competitors customers?  ARIN's staff has both the capacity and the responsibility to investigate fraud as well as the means for doing something about it and lacks any motivation to use that information for other purposes. An ISP has little real capacity or responsibility to investigate a competitor and lacks the tools to do anything about it other then to ask ARIN to investigate....but has a great deal of motivation to use it for other purposes, does it not?

Christopher Engel